(NEW YORK) -- As the trial of the police officer accused of planning to cannibalize a number of women continues in New York, police in Great Britain said they have arrested two men believed to be associated with the case.
Authorities in the county of Kent, in southeast England, said two men, ages 57 and 30, had been arrested in connection with the Gilberto Valle case in New York.
Valle, 28, has been dubbed the “cannibal cop” after his alleged plans to cook and eat as many as 100 women were thwarted by a joint investigation between the FBI and the New York Police Department.
Dale Bolinger, 57, identified himself to British media as the person who had been arrested. The nurse, who lives in Canterbury, allegedly boasted to Valle that he had eaten two people.
While a jury in New York heard how Bolinger, who allegedly posted under the username “Moody Blues,” was a mentor to Valle, the 57-year-old dismissed his alleged comments of cannibalism as fantasy.
“I have to leave it to the police,” he told the Kentish Gazette.
Valle, of Forest Hills, Queens, was charged last year with one count of conspiracy to commit kidnapping, according to a federal criminal complaint, as well as using the National Crime Information Center database to access unauthorized data. He was arrested after his wife allegedly discovered evidence of his intended cannibalism on his computer.
Kathleen Mangan-Valle, 27, was the government’s first witness in her husband’s trial. She told the jury she fled the family’s home with their 1-year-old daughter after she became aware of his plans.
A federal complaint alleges that Valle exchanged electronic messages with an unnamed co-conspirator “about kidnapping, cooking and eating body parts of [Victim 1].” Prosecutors say that one of the women Valle allegedly discussed eating matches the description of his wife.
Authorities allege that in addition to conspiring to kidnap “Victim 1,” he had discussed plans to “kidnap, rape, torture, kill, cook and eat body parts of a number of women.” He is accused of creating computer files pertaining to “at least 100 women and containing at least one photograph of each woman.”
Valle’s trial is scheduled to resume on Monday. If convicted, he could face life in prison.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio